What is this? Where am I? Why is this here?

This blog is a quiet place where I can place my thoughts and writings in one place. It is also an unofficial fan page for the Android game Star Traders RPG. Below are links that can take you to more information about this great game made by the Trese Brothers.

You will find my stories and other items I have made in relation to Star Traders RPG although I will likely add other works also. If you like anything you read, please leave a comment.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mask of Shame Part One: Matthew Meets the Captain

The Vow I made was broken
I have brought dishonor upon my name
As a reminder I will bear this token
I will forever wear the Mask of Shame
Captain Shaft

Matthew waited in the breakfast line for his meal.  It was his first morning on the Vae Victus and he was still shaking from the newness of it all.  As he shuffled closer to the Steward’s Assistant he thought of everything that had happened just last night. 

After months of plotting how to sneak into the docks  of Tundeedor, he was shocked they let him in with just a cursory glance at his identification.  After finding the “Last Chance,” the local Spice Hall, he waited until a Captain appeared.  And one did appear; he was as tall and imposing as he imagined a Captain would be.  Broad-shouldered and bearded he wore a yellow hat with crimson trim, a symbol of prominent military rank in House Thulun.

“I am in need of able bodied men and women ready to follow any command I make of them.  In exchange I promise a steady wage, fair treatment according to Shalun Law, training, food and board, and a share in any fortunes I obtain.”

At that several people rose to meet the Captain.  Matthew hustled to get in the line.  He saw the Captain inspect each in turn, sending some to stand with his First Mate and some sending back to their chairs in rejection.  Finally standing before the Captain he felt his legs go numb as the man’s brown eyes bore through his. 

“You have the smell of land about you.  Why should I let you aboard my ship?”

Matthew stammered, uncertain of what to say.  “I-I-I want to see what is Out There, I want to experience more than what my life has waiting for me.”

“What waits you is your death,” the Captain said grimly.  Then his face softened, “Or perhaps fortune beyond your imagination.  Do you still want to board the Vae Victus?”

“Yes, more than anything.” Matthew nodded in agreement.

“Well then, meet with my First Mate and he will get you started right away.”  The Captain turned around and started walking out the door.

“Sir, wait!” called out Matthew.  “You have never told me your name!”

The Captain turned around, smiled and said “The name is Captain John Shaft.”

No comments:

Post a Comment